AN IDEALIZED STATUE TYPIFYING THE
MEANING OF THE WORD
This Indian image first became part of Willmar in 1915, when it
appeared as the Kandiyohi County Bank symbol. That same year,
artist Eben E. Lawson, commissioned by the bank, created
"Kandiyohi," a smaller sculpture which was the basis for this
In 1929, "Chief Kandiyohi" (a nickname the Indian symbol received,
although there never really was a chief by that name) found a home
with the Bank of Willmar following several bank mergers.
Bank of Willmar President Norman Tallakson contracted to have the
17-foot statue made in 1956. It was mounted on the bank overlooking
Litchfield Avenue for 27 years.
On July 25, 1983, the statue was moved to this site, after it was
donated to the City of Willmar and Kandiyohi County by First
American Bank and Trust of Willmar.
This marker was sponsored by First
American Bank and Trust of Willmar and Erected in
The Hi-Line and the Yellowstone Trail: To Glacier Park and Back Again.
1 Sept. 2004.
15 Aug. 2018
<http://lacusveris.com/The Hi-Line and the Yellowstone Trail/The Wide Missouri/Marker: Kandiyohi, Willmar, MN 2004-08-09 16.20.22.shtml>.
Last modified 6 Oct. 2015.
Served 2926 times between 17 May. 2010 and 13 Aug. 2018.