Soo Line Decapod -- 950
When built in July 1900 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of
Philadelphia, engine 950 was the world's largest steam locomotive
at a weight of 190,000 pounds with a tractive effort of 47,090
pounds. Originally numbered 600 by the Soo Line, it became the only
decapod in the Soo Line roster and was put in service between
Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan. It was sent
to work the ore docks in Superior, Wisconsin, in 1912 and was
renumbered 950. It worked the docks until ore operations ceased
there in 1929. It was then transferred to Minneapolis/St. Paul yard
duties until 1942 when it came to Ashland to work the ore docks
here. When steam operations were concluded in 1954, the engine was
retired, and, in 1956, the 950 was donated to the City of Ashland.
It was dedicated at a park located at Stuntz Avenue and US Hwy. 2
on July 4, 1957. The 950 was moved to its present location in 1987
at the time of the Soo Line Depot restoration project.
"Soo Line Decapod -- 950."
The Hi-Line and the Yellowstone Trail: To Glacier Park and Back Again.
1 Sept. 2004.
24 Mar. 2019
<http://lacusveris.com/The Hi-Line and the Yellowstone Trail/The Bois Brule/Marker: Soo Line Decapod 2004-07-25 20.57.20.shtml>.
Last modified 6 Oct. 2015.
Served 3527 times between 16 May. 2010 and 22 Mar. 2019.